Sunday, July 6, 2008

Starbucks

Well, I lied. In my first post of tekmadness, I stated that I would try to stick to tekie subjects. Like I just said, I lied. I want to talk about other stuff near and dear. One of those things is coffee. 

I'll go on record and state that I DO LIKE STARBUCKS. That does not mean that I don't like other coffee shops. I like those also. I just really enjoy good coffee. I get regular coffee at these places so I don't plan on shelling out more than a buck or two. 

I keep reading news off the wire about Starbucks closing more than 600 stores and the response from all interviewed is "Hooray!!". I support local, independently owned coffee shops when I can. In my town (Albany), that means 2 places. I have Brown Bean, that is in downtown Albany and not anywhere close to where I travel and then there is this young upstart, Elements Coffee located on Ledo Road near Walmart and my church. The latter is pretty decent and their prices are not bad, though not much lower than Starbucks.

The main thing I like about 'bucks is that I know what I will get each and every time I go in. The coffee will taste the same every time I go in and not vary based on what the owner could or could not get in beans, cream available, sugar type and whether they have any honey. 

As for closing all of the 'bucks stores, I would have to say that they opened way too many and now you have backlash just like with Mac users getting away from Windows machines. (there's my tek tie-in)

No comments: