Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Post- Exhausted

I'm six weeks in to training for this ultra and I'm beginning to get tired and exhausted. I've missed three weeks or better of getting on the bike so I've only been running. Yesterday's six mile run would typically be very easy but I made the mistake of going out hungry thinking that I would knock a quick six out and get back home for dinner. At mile three, I could only think of what a t-bone steak would taste like. I wanted to walk some coming back in but thankfully I had a friend come up on a bike and that kept me motivated to continue running and get it done. After finishing, I ate two dinners. I was starving! Then I took in 32 ounces of electrolytes and stretched out on the floor because my legs were burning.

The problem is I've not done any carb-loading or tried to eat any more than normal through this training. I've now decided to make sure I get my 64 ounces of water a day, carb-load the week of my long runs, and never run before I've had plenty to eat. I weighed myself yesterday morning and I was down to 192. I didn't set out to lose weight but am down 10 pounds since starting.

Tomorrow will be a big test with my longest run yet of eighteen miles. I'm praying my calves and ankles hold up. I'm still enjoying the benefits of running with my fitness and weight loss and luckily haven't started questioning myself on why I'm doing this.


No comments: