Monday, May 7, 2012

NFC Training Update #5

No video post today. I'm exhausted from the weekend and am already through a half of a pot of coffee. Also, the day started with a dead battery.

My weight is relatively the same though I reserve the right to update tomorrow. The training schedule is slowly but surely ramping up and the high mileage is taking a physical toll. Including the 8 mile run from last Sunday, I closed out the week with 33 miles. It would have been higher but we had some severe weather yesterday.

The week was rather basic and uneventful. I did a 4 mile run Thursday instead of riding my road bike due to a scheduling conflict at home. I will probably be back on the bike this week. My big Saturday run was 16 miles. That was officially the furthest I had ever run.

Friday evening after carb-loading at Blackbeards, I went by and picked up a clip-on pepper spray cartridge and a clip-on knife for my hydration vest. My long run on Saturday went down a dirt road that I had never been on and wasn't sure if I would encounter any pit bull farms. Also, I received my Road ID in the mail. I got the basic wrist band with my ICE contacts and numbers.

I got up at 5:45 on Saturday morning and ate my typical PB&J sandwich and filled my hydration vest with 2 liters of water. I also had extra Clif Shot Bloks for energy and a Clif Bar so I can start eating while I run. I left the house at 6:40am with my red flashing light attached to my vest. I added the light at the last minute due to the fog and the attention deficit that most drivers have. Once again, I went out faster than intended and turned at mile 5 faster than I previously did on my 12 mile run that takes the same route. I was about 4 minutes faster at that turn and I knew I was going too fast. I needed to be at the same time or up to 4 minutes slower. I felt that mistake in the last 3 miles of the 16 mile run. I made myself walk 2 hills in the first two-thirds of the run and I walked the last big hill of the run because my ankles, knees, and hips asked me to. I finished relatively strong but with an empty hydration vest. I ran the last mile or so without water when I really needed it.

What I learned from that run- I have to figure out a way to carry a bottle or two filled with electrolytes. I started getting calf cramps towards the end and I think electrolytes would have prevented that. Since I sweat heavily and drank 2 liters of water and still started cramping up, then my next step is to carry a bottle with Nuun in it to see if that will correct the issue.

I was useless for a few hours after getting home. I ate a great breakfast of eggs, sausage, and biscuits made by my lovely wife and then had coffee and water while laying in the recliner. Thanks to my wife and kids going to a birthday party shortly after I got home, I had an ideal recovery. I ended up taking some Sports Legs supplement and wearing my calf sleeves for 4 hours while laying in the chair watching television.

Next Saturday I get a break with a 10 mile run though the mid-week mileage will get a little higher.

No comments: