Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Post- Hopeful & Humbled

Another fine week has gone by and school is now out in Lee County. I'm back to riding solo in to Leesburg since my daughter is off for summer. Another big weekend is planned with a 20 miler on deck. I'm still riding off of my enthusiasm from last weekends 18 miler and feeling good about my prospects for the morning.

Thursday's run, like last Thursday's run, was again humbling. Because of time constraints I went out at 5pm for a six mile run. This was a mistake. I took something to drink but with the temp in the 90s, it was a very tough run and I was cooked. I ended up with 9:04min/miles but I had to take a cold shower and drink 32 ounces of water before I felt normal again. Running in that heat was exhausting and I could feel the sun sucking the moisture out of my body. You could feel yourself running through the waves of heat and humidity. My feet were so heavy that had a snake crossed the road in front of me, I may have tripped over it. It was a beat down.

On a brighter note, today is my rest day before tomorrows big run. I'm looking forward to it and being mentally prepared for a long run is more important at this point for me. Physically, I know I can hold up and will be well hydrated. Negative thoughts or an non supportive family can kill your drive and make you question yourself and your reasons for training. My good thought for tomorrow is me at the end of the run, making the final turn back on to my street and entering my driveway, tapping my finger on my phone to end the GPS capture of my run, and knowing that I'm done for the day.

No comments: